Committee: Participating teachers will fulfill the duties assigned by the Chair or include a $25 studio non-participation fee with their student enrollment.
POLICIES, CATEGORIES, AND AGE LIMITS
All categories have competitive and non-competitive divisions, except Junior Winds which is non-competitive only.
COMPETITIVE DIVISION POLICIES
• First, Second, and Third place awards in each category. Only first place winners will proceed to State Finals;
• Memorization is required in all solo categories.
Instruments and chamber ensembles: two pieces of contrasting styles and periods are required. In the solo categories, one of these pieces must be a concerto or equivalent major work with orchestral accompaniment.
Vocalists: Three selections in the original language using English and two other languages.
NON-COMPETITIVE DIVISION POLICIES
• First, Second, and Third place awards in each category;
• Winners are not eligible to compete at State level;
• Memorization is not required;
• Students may play one to two pieces; if two pieces are used, contrasting styles and periods are acceptable;
• A concerto is not required.
SOLO VOICE CATEGORY
Intermediate: age 17 and under
Senior: age 18 through 23
SOLO STRING CATEGORY
Junior: age 12 and under
Intermediate: age 13 through 15
Senior: age 16 through 18
SOLO WIND CATEGORY
Junior: (non-competitive only): 8th grade and younger
Intermediate: age 15 and under
Senior: age 16 through 20
INSTRUMENTAL CHAMBER MUSIC ENSEMBLES (two to five students, no professionals)
Intermediate: average age 15 and under
Senior: average age 16 through 20
VOCAL CHAMBER MUSIC ENSEMBLES (three to five students, no professionals)
Senior: average age 23 and under