A program for vocal and instrumental students (Vocalists, Orchestral instrumentalists, Chamber music, and Ensembles) with competitive and non-competitive divisions. Students of all levels will receive an adjudication and audition experience. Students who win in competitive divisions will be eligible to compete for cash prizes and performances at the State level.
Committee: Participating teachers will fulfill the duties assigned by the Chair or include a $25 studio non-participation fee with their student enrollment.
POLICIES, CATEGORIES, AND AGE LIMITS
All categories have competitive and non-competitive divisions, except Junior Winds which is non-competitive only.
COMPETITIVE DIVISION POLICIES
• First, Second, and Third place awards in each category. Only first place winners will proceed to State Finals;
• Memorization is required in all solo categories.
Instruments and chamber ensembles: two pieces of contrasting styles and periods are required. In the solo categories, one of these pieces must be a concerto or equivalent major work with orchestral accompaniment.
Vocalists: Three selections in the original language using English and two other languages.
NON-COMPETITIVE DIVISION POLICIES
• First, Second, and Third place awards in each category;
• Winners are not eligible to compete at State level;
• Memorization is not required;
• Students may play one to two pieces; if two pieces are used, contrasting styles and periods are acceptable;
• A concerto is not required.
SOLO VOICE CATEGORY
Intermediate: age 17 and under
Senior: age 18 through 23
SOLO STRING CATEGORY
Junior: age 12 and under
Intermediate: age 13 through 15
Senior: age 16 through 18
SOLO WIND CATEGORY
Junior: (non-competitive only): 8th grade and younger
Intermediate: age 15 and under
Senior: age 16 through 20
INSTRUMENTAL CHAMBER MUSIC ENSEMBLES (two to five students, no professionals)
Intermediate: average age 15 and under
Senior: average age 16 through 20
VOCAL CHAMBER MUSIC ENSEMBLES (three to five students, no professionals)
Senior: average age 23 and under